Monday, March 2, 2009

Take a Hike Ike

First team race of the season - too bad it sold out before anyone could register!!! But I was lucky and got in on time, so this weekend Mandy and Andrew and myself drove down to Houston for some chilly triathlon fun. Highlights of the trip included transition practice in the hotel parking lot, wetsuit stripping practice in the unheated hotel pool (the staff pretty much thought we were nuts), walking the beach in Galveston, and chasing each other with my helmet. Also, I placed second in my AG and 8th over-all (unofficially - still waiting for official results to be posted). The triathlon was changed to a duathlon due to 40 degree temps, choppy waters, and a lot of first-timers (potentially dangerous combo), so it ended up being 3.5 mile run, 10.8 mile bike, 3.5 mile run. I'll admit - I gave a cheer when I found out I didn't have to get in the 54 degree water!!! I don't care how good your wetsuit is... that is never fun... and mine is sleeveless... The whole race was pretty much supposed to be at training pace, so I took it pretty easy. Averaged 8-ish miles on the run, and averaged 17-18 on the bike. Still had plenty of energy crossing the finish line.

Unfortunately, I smashed my TT bike driving back to Denton - DISASTER! So I'm trying to figure out how to get it replaces at the moment... until then, the old road bike will have to do.

-Morgan

1 comment:

  1. WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO it was a freezin at the race...congrats Morgan you are a hoss!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete